Public Guardianship for the Elderly

The Public Guardianship for the Elderly service provides court appointed guardianship/conservatorship services to persons who need someone to make decisions on their behalf because they has lost the capacity to make informed decisions.


Guardianship services are available to persons who have lost the capacity to make decisions. The court investigates this loss of capacity. This service is for person 60 years and older, however, on rare occasions the court may appoint our agency as conservator for a younger individual, but someone has to pay the full cost of the service in these cases.

Top 3 Goals

  1. To provide quality services to approximately 75 individuals each fiscal year.
  2. To provide the least restrictive placement to individuals served by the Public Guardian.
  3. To protect the rights and dignity of older East Tennesseans served by this project.

Explanation of Services

Three paid staff and approximately 25 trained volunteers provide services. The Public Guardian is the sole decision maker for all clients served with the ETAAAD administrator as the back up decision maker. Services may include decisions about housing, medical care, and financial management. The court decides what the Public Conservator duties will be for each client that is assigned. A volunteer is assigned to each client to guarantee personal contact with that client each month, and most often on a weekly basis. The Public Guardian has to file an annual report with the court on the status of each client. Fees are allowed under current state rules based on a sliding scale.

Number of Persons Served

In the (16) counties, approximately 75 individuals are served each year.

Source of Funding

State funds are made available through the Tennessee Commission on Aging and Disability and client fees.

Counties Served

Anderson, Blount, Campbell, Claiborne, Cocke, Grainger, Hamblen, Jefferson, Knox, Loudon, Morgan, Monroe, Roane, Scott, Sevier and Union.

For More Information Please Contact: Carol Silvey at (865) 691-2551 ext. 4218 or by E-mail at